Church & Community
The Armenian All Saints Apostolic Church was founded in Chicago
in the year 1943, and in 1957 became affiliated with the Catholicosate
of the Great House of Cilicia. In the early years, before
the acquisition of our first church building, the faithful
traveled long distances to attend services at Holy Savior
Armenian Apostolic Church in West Pullman, Illinois.
Early in 1943, a church building located on the northwest side
of Chicago at the corner of LeMoyne and Fairfield was purchased,
and by the time of the fund raising event on May 16, 1943, the
entire purchase price of $12,500 had been raised.By the year
1960, it was obvious that the neighborhood and general area
surrounding the church were changing. In addition, many of our
parishioners were moving to the suburbs.
Thus, in 1960, the charter members authorized the formation
of a building committee for the purpose of building a church
and community center in a more suitable area. In 1967, vacant
land in Glenview was purchased for this purpose, and on August
9, 1970,services were held for the last time in our Chicago
church. From September 1970 to September 1980, our religious
services were held at St. Pauls Episcopal Church
By The Lake on Ashlan Avenue in Chicago.
In the fall of 1979, after a traditional ground breaking ceremony,
construction began on our community center. The center was to
\be a multi- purpose facility, for religious services, meeting
rooms and social functions. Construction was completed in the
fall of 1980. In the spring of 1985, the property east of and
adjacent to the community center was purchased. The property
included a house which
now serves as the parish house.
In November 1987, excavation for the sanctuary
commenced and on April 2, 1989, the first liturgy service was
celebrated in our new sanctuary. The Celebrant was His Eminence
Archbishop Mesrob Ashjian. On June 2nd and June 3rd, 1990, His
Holiness Karekin II officiated at the ancient and traditional
consecration ceremony of the sanctuary.
We are proud of our church and community center. The Armenian
All Saints Apostolic Church and Community Center are periodically
being improved and upgraded to meet the changing needs of our